Wednesday, November 27, 2013

3. Research and Theory post-reflection


In this week’s seminar we got an insight on how theories can be categorized. The taxonomy of theory types, as states by Gregor, goes further than the traditional understanding of theories as explanation or prediction types. In that way theories can also be considered as a type of analysis, explanation and prediction and design and action. While Gregor tries to define a certain set of characteristics for each type, in practical use – as we did in the seminar – the interpretations may vary what emerged into discussions. Some of the theories used in the research papers couldn’t be clearly defined as just one type of theory and could be stated as “either or”. This was depended on our subjective understanding of what a theory is and how we interpret Gregor’s classification. All this reasoning made it pretty clear for me how hard it is to define the term theory and it always depends on factors.

Another goal of the seminar was to critical reflect on the reliability and the validity of research papers. As we discussed different papers in class that covered a wide range of topics and were based on different kinds of theories, the limitation tough remained mostly the same for each of them.

A few limitations of the presented research papers we discussed in the seminar were such as the following:
- There was no generalization possible because the study was conducted in a specific cultural context or any other type of bias. A cross-cultural or longitudinal study would have given in some cases a more reliable insight due to a broader focus and the attempt to generalize a finding.
- The reliability of the collected data was in question, because it always depended on the research method that was used in the study and how the sample was chosen.
- A few studies had unclear defined examination variables, e.g. choosing high and low ranked links on Google always depends on how researchers define “high” and “low”.
- Some studies were conducted too narrowly and focused just on one specific group of people, a certain media type, device, or conceptualization of variables, while others were the total opposite.

As we all are quite acquainted now with how to categorize theories and what theories are not, the question for me still remains what theory is in its core? I always thought that a fundament of hypothesis which were approved as being valid would be sufficient enough to call a phenomenon “theory”. However, Sutten and Staw argue that a set of hypothesis cannot be considered theory and that a convincing and logical chain of arguments are needed in order to explain, predict, and delight (Sutton and Staw 1995: 378). Right now if I could choose, I would rather wish to be enlightened than delighted.

References:


Sutton, R. I. and Staw, B. M. (1995). What Theory is Not. In: Administrative Science Quarterly, Vol. 40 (3), 371-384.


4 comments:

  1. First of all I have to say your argument on theories and that our definitions and classifications of theory types may vary because they depend on our subjective interpretations is both really interesting and well written!

    It is really important that you mentioned the reliability and validity of papers. I liked how you explained that collected data depend on the methodologies used and that this affects the reliability of a research.
    After these seminars, I reached the conclusion that it is difficult to find a paper without limitations. Do agree on that?

    I don't know if this helps, but my definition of theory is strongly affected by linguistics. The origins of the word can be found in ancient Greek- theoro (θεωρώ) could be defined as "to observe", "to believe", "to think" -and I could add- in a critical way. Thus, hypothesis cannot be considered as theory. Arguments are necessary in order to explain something.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your lesson in greek :) I enjoyed it!!

      Delete
  2. Reading your post I see, like me, you are skeptical about both categories of theory expressed in the book and on the general validity and reliability of papers.
    Thus research and speculation are essential for our growth as citizens, society and nations, in this way since the validity and reliability always remains in a "twilight zone" and is arguable it is probably better to have several papers on the same argument and draw conclusions by comparing them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Teo! Good point. I think that we can raise critique against any scientifical paper, but of course when many papers come to the same result it is high likely that we have some evidence for drawing a conclusion.

    ReplyDelete