This week’s
topic was dedicated to examine quantitative research methods, while we also had
a closer look at qualitative research in order to compare the benefits and
limitations of both methods.
To sum it
up in a few sentences: Qualitative research follows an heuristic approach,
which means that it generates new or unforeseen knowledge in the field of study.
It takes views, opinions, certain behaviours into account which cannot be
generalized. Based on the findings the researches can formulate hypothesis that
can be tested with quantitative methods. In opposite, quantitative research can
be used when knowledge already exists to give a better understanding if the
findings also apply to a larger group of people (generalization).
In the
seminar I really liked how we were supposed to sketch up a flow chart in order to better
understand the interpretation of a study result. We could on the one hand see
clearly where correlations between variables exist while on the other hand we were
also debating on how the connections should be made in the right way. Again we conceived
that the results are deeply dependent on the research method being used as well
on its limitations.
The lecture
gave some good examples on how to formulate questions and prepare a
questionnaire for conducting a study. From my own experience I can recall that
the quality of the results heavily relies on how the questions were formulated.
What I learned is that you have to avoid negotiations, leading or loaded questions,
as well as assumptions when creating a questionnaire. Always state your
questions in an easy and understandable way but be clear in what you want to know.
For my
bachelor’s thesis I conducted guided interviews with social media managers to
get an understanding of how social media crisis could be prevented. Due to the
qualitative method I had more possibilities to clarify with my interviewees what I meant with a particular
question or a certain term to eliminate any causes which could lead to a misunderstanding. My
results could therefore gain a higher reliability and as a consequence of that
an also higher validity.
In
conclusion I believe that both research methods are necessary for scientific
research. By taking their benefits and limitations into account, it is
important to choose the most suitable method for your research question. In order
to make the right decision it is inevitable to have a deeper understanding and knowledge
of both methods. Interpreting the findings correctly is one important thing, but
the preparations that lead to your results are even more crucial, since they incorporate
the base for your statements.
Hi Simon!
ReplyDeleteI also found the examples of formulating questions and preparing questionnaires to be really helpful. I agree with you that the results do depend on the formulation of the questions. The way you ask a question affects the anwers and even the response rate of your questionnaire. A poorly designed questionnaire might annoy respondents and make them drop out or answer the next questions falsely. On the other hand, as Bälter noted, providing personalized information and insights during the survey, having some kind of feedback and interaction might engage the respondents. It could also lead to higher response rates.
I would like to add the necessity of testing questionnaires so that we can understand possible mistakes and fix them on time.
I also concluded that both research methods are necessary for scientific research and that choosing a suitable methodology depends on the research question.
The testing of your questions in a questionnaires is one of the most important things. Asking questions that doesn't make sense to other people will give you no results or results without any use. Thanks for adding that thought!
DeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteHi Simon! I agree with you that that quantitative and qualitative methods are best used as complements to each other. I think that qualitative research can both provide information for quantitative research and explain its findings. But how do you think which method we should use at first? Should we start from interview with experts or from collecting mass-data?
ReplyDeleteMy opinion is that we should start with qualitative research to understand some trends that are highlited by experts, then make a qualitative research and then we should again conduct qualitative research to explain our findings. What do you think?
Yeah, I agree with you when there is no data available, you might start with qualitative research and end up with quanitative research in order to prove your findings. But as I said, which method you're going to chose is always depending on your research question. Therefore I wouldn't always choose this particular order.
Delete