Wednesday, December 11, 2013

5. Design research Reflection


The two guest lecturers gave an interesting insight into what we can understand as design research and how to market ideas. They also made us aware of the benefits and limitations of this kind of research.

For Ylva a design research can be a concept that is grounded in existing scientific research and contributes to empirical data by analyzing and looking on the topic from different perspectives. It doesn’t necessarily need to take a collection of statistical data or qualitative information to consider a paper as research. I personally were struggling a bit with this explanation because I feel that research needs to undergo some kind of proof or validation process to state how relevant or meaningful the results are. However, I could better understand what Ylva meant when she described the different approaches between design work and design research. Whereas in design work the focus lies on the particular design and how to sell it, design research adds another dimension by grounding the concept with a theoretical framework, critically reflect pros and cons and sharing your ideas with others.

Li approached the field of design research from a different angle. For him every innovation process starts with a problem. By coming up with a good idea or the “right” solution to the problem, there is a great potential for the commercialization of your concept. In order to get there and to be successful, your design research needs to undergo a validation, an evaluation and a communication process. Li provided us here with important information that I found lacking in Ylvas talk. He further outlines that quantitative and qualitative research methods are supporting tools to evaluate and validate your idea.



Even though I feel now that I can better agree on the fact that design research is considered as scientific research, you always have to be aware of the limitations. Both lecturers made their points clear. Design research involves a lot of experiments, e.g. observing user behavior and the following revising and adjusting process in order to build a product that satisfies the needs and meets all requirements. Furthermore, the implementation can become a challenge when your idea is ahead of the actual state of technologies. You sometimes have to wait for the right technologies to come up in order to implement your idea. This reminded me of James Cameron who wrote the screenplay for “Avatar” nearly 20 years before shooting the actual movie, because he had to wait until the 3-D technology was advanced enough. 

In relation to that design research is very much dependent on technologies which can quickly become outdated. Whereas scientific research in other fields lasts as long as someone could disprove a theory, design research can only last for a few years until there is a shift in technologies or consumer behaviors. This is the main reason why I feel that a validation and evaluation process with prototypes is crucial in design research to be successful – not in the way of making money but in the way of generating meaningful results.

4 comments:

  1. Hej Simon!

    As usual, I find your comments and reflections to be really interesting! I specifically liked how you discuss the limitations of design research and how you connected the challenge of having a good idea, but not having the right tools to implement it, with the real life scenario of Cameron waiting 20 years for the technology to advance in order to be able to shoot the movie!
    I would have to say that I agree with you in that the main limitation of design research is that it depends too much on technologies. This is the reason why a design research can quickly become outdated. Therefore I believe that prototypes are crucial in design research

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course the prototypes are important without any doubt. I mean thanks to prototypes we have all the technologies right now which are making our life so much easier (and antisocial).

      Delete
  2. Hey! I really like the way you always explain things so clearly and link it back to a more tangible real life example, as Katerina said, like Cameron here. However to me there comes a cut off point to where you can't wait and depend on technologies to get more advanced because you could in theory be waiting forever if a problem comes up that cannot be solved in this century. At what point would you consider the cut off from waiting for technology?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good question. I think it always depends on the particular case. And it's just a normal way in the development of things when each part is based on another one. So logically you start bottom up insitead of top down.

      Delete